ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Feature Requests > Render completion notice

Wed, 03/Sep/2014 7:13 AM
Pedrom
31 Posts
Sorry to keep spamming with ideas..!

Would it be possible to implement a render completion notice into Smedge. When a job completes, a specific online Engine (or multiple online Engines) get a little popup window to confirm a render has finished?

Ped

Thu, 04/Sep/2014 1:48 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
You can use Herald for this. Run Herald and set up actions in response to job events, like jobs finishing. You can set it to pop up a message or play a sound, save the job information into a file or run an arbitrary command that lets yo do just about anything you want.

You can start Herald with the H icon or by running the Herald component from the Smedge program folder. It shows up in the system tray (or equivalent on Linux/Mac), with a pop up window for configuring it.

Thanks,
-robin

Thu, 04/Sep/2014 7:19 AM
Pedrom
31 Posts
This is great. I've got a notification working for now, however, there are a few things I am unsure about/would like to see.

Is it possible to have all Engines with Herald turned on to have the Notifications linked over the network (much like how Smedge updates jobs in real time over the network), rather than having to set them up individually? Maybe this could be done through Smedge job options to add a new notification to Herald? Or just simply happen within Herald when a new Notification is created on one, to update all others?

It would then also be nice to have a notification set to only a specific Engine, other than the creator or all online.
Eg. Multiples PCs online. PC1 creates a new job and would like to notify ONLY PC2&3 when the job has completed

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense or not - or even if what I'm asking is too much. But I think a well integrated and flexible notification system would be super useful!

Thanks,
Ped

Fri, 05/Sep/2014 12:08 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
Herald is a simple and relatively brainless app and it only keeps its data locally. You can copy around the Herald.ini file, as a way to transfer data from machines, but that is still a very static way to configure it.

I am already planning to centralize the event notification data as just more data in the database so it can be automatically synchronized with all the other data. It would also be easy enough to then add an "engine list" to the event notification data so that only engines on the list would get process the event.

I'm not sure if that will make it into the 2015 release by the end of this year, but it is definitely coming. Right now, it may be possible to implement something like this by integrating with a third party notification system of some kind. I haven't really looked into it, but if you have a tool that you can use for sending notifications manually, I can take a look at integration with Smedge.

Thanks,
-robin

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved