ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Feature Requests > Detect rendered frames with Packet Size >1

Thu, 14/Aug/2014 8:49 AM
Pedrom
31 Posts
Can we have Smedge detect when a frame has been rendered when the packet size is set with 2 or more frames?
For example, if the packet size is set to 2, our Workers will spend a couple of hours on the first frame. But then if the next frame fails or is stopped half way through, Smedge will start the work all over again, ignoring the fact it has already completed the first frame.
This would really speed things up for us and would heavily reduce the load on the network!

Thu, 14/Aug/2014 10:33 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi

Sub-packet progress is on my list. I'll try to get it into the next release, as people have asked for that for a while. Strangely enough, Smedge 2 actually did this 12 years ago, but it didn't make it into the original Smedge 3 code, which is the code base for the current version. I've been meaning to add it back in for a while, but keep putting that off for other features. However, I'll try to get it for the next one for sure.

Thanks
-robin

Tue, 19/Aug/2014 9:30 AM
Pedrom
31 Posts
Sounds great! Thanks!

Any clues as to when the next release will be due?

Wed, 20/Aug/2014 4:45 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
I had a moment to remember why it was dropped in the first place. The problem is that with render layers in Maya, all frames from one layer render before moving on to the next layer. I can detect frames easily, but not layers, since I don't read the scene file. This means that it would only work for renders that use only one render layer.

The real solution is stay resident rendering, which is in progress. I don't have a hard timeline, but I'm aiming for Smedge 2015 by the end of the year. Stay resident rendering loads the scene file one time and then renders the requested frames without having to re-load the same scene file each time. This saves considerable render time and basically eliminates the need for the "Packet Size" for renderers that support it.

Thanks
-robin

Fri, 22/Aug/2014 4:49 AM
Pedrom
31 Posts
Ah yes, of course. I forgot batch render works that way.

Your other solution sounds far better anyway! I look forward to the release!

Ped

Fri, 19/Sep/2014 12:14 PM
Martin
69 Posts
submitting with packet size 1, makes you stay on the safe side. Especially if your render time is 1 hour per frame.

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved