ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Feature Requests > Max 2012 State Sets

Tue, 27/Sep/2011 12:33 PM
Chris
10 Posts
Hello,

Max 2012 just released 'state sets', basically known as render passes to everyone else. You toggle them on/off within the scene and they hold settings (visibility, materials, etc).

From within Max, you can 'render all state sets' and it just runs through each one to render. I would love it if Smedge could open a scene with state sets and render them individually. Perhaps a flag to pass on through submission telling Smedge to render a particular state set per job? I'm wanting to avoid having to save out several versions of the same scene file with different state sets and work from ONE file when changes arise. Is this currently possible? I'm willing to work through this to make it work. Let me know your thoughts on this - Thanks!

Wed, 28/Sep/2011 2:51 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
I believe you can do this with the -sceneState command line flag. This flag is not available in the broken out list of fields, but you can just manually add it to the big text area at the top of the "Render Overrides" tab of the Submit Job window. You can specify the scene state you wish to render by passing the flag and the name of the state like this:

-sceneState:the_state_name

I will adjust the graphical breakdown of the command line parameters to include this option as well as any other new options available in Max 2012. These changes will be available in the next release.

Thank you,
-robin

Thu, 29/Sep/2011 10:16 AM
Chris
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I see there is already a switch for 'Load Scene State' under Basic Options, which toggles when I manually add the '-sceneState:Name' line up top. When I do that, it returns an error in output:

'9/29/2011 9:48:56 AM; Error rendering frame 0: Error restoring scene state Teapots'

I'm guessing it errs because the new State Sets are different from the traditional Scene States? Even still, I get the error when I try using traditional Scene States as well on the same scene. I can't find any documentation on switching State Sets via Maxscript... Let me know what I can do to help get this working!

Thu, 29/Sep/2011 4:24 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
I will have to take a closer look when I get a chance, and see what I can find out about it. In the mean time, if you can find a way to specify by a command line flag which scene state to render, then we can easily add it to Smedge. If it requires a script to change, it can still be added to Smedge, because there is a way to run a pre-render script at render time in the max command line renderer.

Let me know what you find. I will try to take a look a bit this week, but I'm kind of busy on other projects at the moment, so it may take me a bit to track it down myself.

Thanks
-robin

Thu, 29/Sep/2011 4:45 PM
Chris
10 Posts
I talked with one of the developers. Because it was just released, much of the script access isn't documented yet. It might be too early in the game right now to get it working smoothly. As soon as I get more information on this, I'll check back in here, just don't know how long that'll be. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved