ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Feature Requests > Any way to have job or submit command line 'alter' a live job?

Tue, 30/Sep/2008 10:33 AM
Jamie
102 Posts
Hi Robin,

Is there any way possible to submit from file a previous job but use some over rides such as frame range, priority wait-on, uid(which would overwrite the existing settings of the in-smedge gui uid of a job).

We've started building some semi-automated python wrappers and this is giving us some more options and flexibility in terms of how Houdini behaves on the smedge farm here.
Cheers

Jamie
PS: Thanks for sorting that ProcessSeq error string detection bug. Will be testing it some more as soon as possible.

Thu, 02/Oct/2008 10:50 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi Jaime

You could do this by having your wrapper script generate a new Job file with the correctly overridden data from the original file, and then use Submit to submit that new Job file.

-robin

Fri, 03/Oct/2008 10:13 AM
Jamie
102 Posts
That can happen but it's not updating the existing job, it's generating a fresh UID which in turn kind of messes with our program since our extended backend is dependant on these UIDs being consistent and having to script up an extra layer / loop is maybe complicating it a bit too much.

If it was possible to 'not' generate the uid on the submit -fromfile command and insert/update it as read into the job list from the [amended] test.sj file would be awesome. Is there a uid override for submit.exe?

Cheers

Jamie
Axis

Fri, 03/Oct/2008 3:43 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Do you mean that you want to change an existing Job's parameters before it has finished? Or do you want to take a finished Job and make it back to a queued Job?

Right now, once a Job has finished, it can never be un-finished again. Resubmitting the Job actually makes a new Job. On the plus side, the Submit script returns the ID of the job it creates, so it should be pretty easy to extract that, if needed. However, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do, so I'm not sure what the best approach may be.

I can certainly change some of this behavior, but please let me know more about what your system is trying to accomplish, so that I can give better help.

Thanks
-robin

Sun, 05/Oct/2008 4:05 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi Jamie

I misunderstood you post originally, but now I understand. I should be able to add the ability to modify existing Jobs easily enough. I will put this on the feature request list for the next version and post more information when it is available.

Thanks
-robin

Mon, 13/Oct/2008 6:16 AM
Jamie
102 Posts
Nice one Robin. Look forward to that one.
Cheers

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved