ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Feature Requests > disable offline engiens

Mon, 10/Aug/2009 11:09 AM
QuakeMarine1
177 Posts
disable offline engiens ;)

Mon, 10/Aug/2009 6:18 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Do you mean, so that the Engine is "disabled" when it comes online?

You can always do this manually by modifying the Engine.ini file before starting the app.

Currently, the Master stores a cached copy of the Engine info, but when an Engine is offline, it will load its settings from its local saved setting file when it starts. These saved settings will override the Master's cached data. This is why you can't change an Engine's settings when it is offline. The Master cannot communicate the changes to the Engine to save them locally.

It was implemented this way so that you don't lose all of the Engine settings when the Master moves.

-robin

Tue, 11/Aug/2009 6:11 AM
QuakeMarine1
177 Posts
and why not sysnconize the settings if engine register on master ?

the problem is if i have a job runing with outstanding tasks
I startup several PC and all PC start immidently after register even i have other plannings with the new engines

edit the ini file or pause the job is a workaround but hey .... :)

Tue, 11/Aug/2009 1:50 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Yes, I understand why you would want that. I'm debating design possibilities for the next major release. Smedge 4 will centralize much more of the information onto the Master anyway, but it still could present an issue.

-robin

Fri, 14/Aug/2009 3:10 PM
Tim
11 Posts
Also, would it be possible to be able to configure an engines details when the machine is offline and as soon as it comes online these changes are pushed to it by the master? This would be a real help in updating workstations as engines. Right now I have to wait until an artist is done working and enables their station in order make any changes to it.
Thanks

Fri, 14/Aug/2009 3:29 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
You can leave the SmedgeEngine process running at all times, and just enable and disable it, and then you could configure the Engines remotely, since they would be running. Without the Engine running, you could still configure the engine remotely if you can access and modify the Engine.ini file on that engine. When the engine is started, it will read that file and update the master with whatever changes you have made to it. (Process startup is the only time that the Engine reads that file.)

With the new Engine defaults system in Smedge 3 version 2.5, you can also update the default Engine data at any time. When an offline engine comes online, any settings that are at the old default will automatically be updated to the new defaults you have set in the system. Any settings that had been previously customized from the default will remain as they are. The new defaults are available with Smedge 3 version 2.5 beta 1 and later.

Right now there is a single Engine default. For the next major release, I want to implement a per-platform default, so you could configure defaults for Windows, Linux, and Mac separately.

-robin

Edited by author on Fri, 14/Aug/2009 3:30 PM

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved