ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Support > Half of my engines won't connect

Fri, 30/Dec/2016 12:23 AM
Doug
50 Posts
A couple weeks after installing Smedge 2012, I'm suddenly having a problem with about half of my render machines not connecting to the master. The machines in question are still connected to my network and the internet and I tried turning off the firewall on one of them, but it did not help. What else can I check? I'm running Windows 10. Thanks.

Edited by author on Fri, 30/Dec/2016 12:24 AM

Mon, 09/Jan/2017 3:56 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi. Sorry I just saw this after the holidays.

You are using a pretty old version. First, I recommend trying the updated version to see if it works better.

The most common cause for this kind of issue if there are multiple network interfaces on the machine is that Smedge happens to be using the wrong one. You can use the Configure Connection dialog box to force it to use one network interface by specifying the IP address of that interface in the "Client Listening Network" field.

As this is an older version, some of the more current troubleshooting steps would not apply. If you continue to have connectivity issues, I suggest contacting and setting up a time for remote connection.

Thank you,
-robin

Tue, 10/Jan/2017 4:36 AM
Doug
50 Posts
Ack, my brain is still typing 2012, but I meant Smedge 2016! So if you want to mention any of those more current troubleshooting steps, I'll certainly give them a try, Thnx!

Wed, 11/Jan/2017 4:00 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
No worries!

You may want to try this environment variable:

SMEDGE_CLIENT_PRERESOLVE=1

Set this on your clients and it forces the client to send its numeric IP address instead of its hostname to the master. Also double check basic stuff like firewalls, which must be open for Smedge on both the master and the client machines.

If none of that helps, one last thing to try is see if the clients connect when you restart the master. Normally this should not be necessary, but it sometimes helps in case the system has got itself into a weird state.

If you still have trouble, contact me directly and let me take a look with remote connection, as that is the best way to troubleshoot issues.

Thanks,
-robin

Fri, 13/Jan/2017 7:07 PM
Doug
50 Posts
Thank you! Restarting my master worked for half of the machines that weren't connecting, and the environment variable did the trick for the others!

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved