ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Support > Rendering image sequence with Arnold

Mon, 08/Aug/2016 1:43 PM
Carver
5 Posts

Hello,

We're considering switching to Smedge, here at work, so we put it on a few of our blades to test things out before fully committing, and one tiny thing we're (embarrassingly) having trouble with is properly rendering a scene from a sequence of .ass files for Arnold's standalone render.

Everything seems to go well--even in the log it all looks right--but it still is only rendering (and constantly overwriting) one file. So, supposing we have a scene represented by an .ass file sequence of arbitrary length, it will successfully grab every one, display the right output in the log (outImage.0042.exr, for example), but in the end there will only be outImage.0000.exr on disk, and it'll be a render of the final frame (or thereabouts). Does that make sense?

If anyone has any guidance or advice on what we could be doing wrong, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much!

Carver

Mon, 08/Aug/2016 2:51 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
What animation package are you using to export your .ASS files? Have you correctly set up the export settings to render a frame sequence instead of just a single frame? If that does not resolve it, perhaps you can contact me directly at and we can arrange a time for me to remotely take a look at what may be going on.

Thanks
-robin

Mon, 08/Aug/2016 3:18 PM
Carver
5 Posts

Thanks for the prompt reply, Robin!

Well, I have no idea where/how he figured it out, but my colleague found a magical $(Name) variable that does the trick. We were using %04d and had even tried out $(Scene) (or something like that, in a desperate hope it would take the corresponding .ass file) and .####., etc, but $(Name) is the ticket.

Sorry for the false alarm, and thanks a ton for the generous offer to help. We really did look for a while before I posted :] It doesn't matter any more, of course, but we were using Cinema 4D to export the files.

Wed, 19/Oct/2016 2:36 PM
Carver
5 Posts

Sorry to resuscitate this, but I'm having this problem again. The Engines keep rendering and overwriting the first .ass file :\ Here's the syntax I'm using from command line:

submit script -name "job_name" -scene /path/to/scene/filename.0000.ass -Range 0-90 -Output /path/to/output/filename.$(Name).jpg -type "arnold standalone"

With the Command Formatting String under the Product Options as:

-i $(ActualScene)[ -o $(Output)] -t $(CPUs) -v $(Verbose) -nstdin -nokeypress -dw -dp [ $(Extra)]

Is there an obviously wrong thing I'm doing? Though I thought this is what I was doing before... I wonder if I didn't set something correctly when we started hosting the Master on a Windows machine (which, thanks for looking into that, btw)

Thanks again, in advance

Thu, 20/Oct/2016 10:49 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi

Please send a message to me at so I can arrange a time to look at your system and see what may be going on remotely. Thanks,
-robin

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved