ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Support > Maya Single Image - Problem while slicing images

Mon, 29/Jun/2015 10:39 AM
Thies
2 Posts
Hi everyone!

At the moment we're doing some tests with Smedge, as we're considering to purchase the program for our newly upgraded renderfarm. So far everything is working just
fine, apart one problem we stumbled upon. As we need to render huge single images in maya on a regular basis, we'd love to split the image up and
send it to our renderfarm. We tried using the "Slice Image" option when submitting a new job with the "mental ray for Maya (Single Image)" type and everything
seemed to work out fine. The Engines received the jobs and rendered "slice001" to "slice004". Yet we ran into two problems, which might be connected somehow.

1) We realized, that after the renderings were finished, there was only one file in our output folder, instead of four. After doing another run, we noticed
that the engines were overwriting each others file, because somehow they all used the same name for each slice "Slice_0-0". That's somewhat confusing, as we were using the
standard naming scheme: "Slice_$(RegionStart.X)-$(RegionStart.Y)". We then kinda dodged the problem by setting the Region Image Name to "Slice_$(Slice)". That
way we got our four different slices "Slice_1" - "Slice_4", yet we'd prefer the original "Slice_$(RegionStart.X)-$(RegionStart.Y)" to work (for obvious reasons).

2) Now to the real problem. Every slice the engines did render, actually were not a slice, but the complete image itself. Every slave did render
the whole image on its own. I guess that also explains the first problem, as therefore all the "slices" have the same RegionStart.

Our settings:
http://e10.imgup.net/SmedgeSett9c17.PNG

Sry if this is a rather dull problem and easy to fix, but we couldn't find a solution, even while working with the provided manuals.
Thanks for taking your time for helping us out, we appreciate it a lot!

Best Regards,
Thies Lapp
Winkler Studios

Tue, 30/Jun/2015 12:52 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi. Can you please check the specific version of Smedge you are using? There was a bug in the region definition code of the Maya module that caused it not to define the correct values for the region. This is fixed in the 2015.1 Hotfix 1 release or later. The current release is hotfix 5, which you can see in the Smedge version string. It should read:

Smedge 2015 Update 1 (f5)

If you don't see this version string, download Smedge 2015 Update 1 again and install it again. You can do a normal upgrade on any operating system to get the hotfix (you do not need to uninstall before updating).

If you have the latest hotfix and still see this issue, please contact me directly for support at

Thank you,
-robin

Wed, 29/Jul/2015 5:52 AM
Thies
2 Posts
Hi Robin,

it's now been 26 days since we send you an e-mail regarding this problem
and even added you on skype for making the troubleshooting less complicated,
yet we haven't heard anything from you.
We hope you didn't forget about this!

So please answer us, we'd appreciate it!

Thies Lapp
Winkler Studios

Sat, 01/Aug/2015 4:13 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi Theis. I did not see an email from you, so perhaps there was a problem there.

As I noted on June 30, there was a known issue that was resolved in a hotfix for Smedge 2015 Update 1. Update 2 is coming this weekend and will also include this fix. Have you updated to this latest release and tested it? If so, and you still see the problem, contact me by email at and we can arrange a remote support time.

If you do not hear back from me by email, try calling +1 (213) 448-0443. I do not use Skype very often, but I can arrange to be online at a specific time if we can find a time that works out mutually.

I'm sorry if for not checking the forum earlier this week, and I'm sorry if there has been some miscommunication or lost email. Please let me know by email if you are still experiencing this issue in the latest version and let's set up a time next week to remote connect and resolve it.

Thanks,
-robin

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved