ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Support > available engines are not rendering

Tue, 16/Jun/2015 12:12 PM
Nikolay
11 Posts
Hello,

We are facing a few strange problems, all engines are free and available but only one get to work and this one is the only one that will work. If I disable it the other engines still don't go for the work. The interesting thing is that happened 4 days ago and it was behaving that way only for houdini jobs while maya jobs are handled immediately from all engines. We have tried to force wide exit but that didn't fixed the problem. But on the next wide exit all engines came back to work for houdini jobs.

Now the same problem happened but for maya while all the houdini jobs are handled immediately.

Tried to restart, reinstall, cleanup finally it works again but we lost a lot of time on doing that.

What could be the cause of that behavior?

Thanks!

Edited by author on Tue, 16/Jun/2015 12:21 PM

Tue, 16/Jun/2015 2:32 PM
Dan
29 Posts
I am having a similar issue.
24 machines, 10 will not join the render for no reason. Checked pools, priorities etc.

Any thoughts Smedgers?

Edited by author on Tue, 16/Jun/2015 2:33 PM

Thu, 18/Jun/2015 9:22 PM
Nikolay
11 Posts
We noticed that it's a problem of the master service. We are running it on a quadcore with win7 x64, nothing else runs on this computer so it should be pretty free of resources but it frequently(daily) going messy.

This thing goes crazy or just freeze at some time and the only way to fix it is to restart the service or the computer in the worst case.
When we do that the first thing that happens immediately is some of the engines to become a master and then HELLO MESS! Lost licenses, engines are with default settings with all the modules activated no pools... in short a Nightmare! System Wide EXIT and then start everything over.
Also we found that in most cases when something bad happens the master service cannot be restarted or killed, the only solution was to restart the master's computer.

How can the smedge be configured so only one master to be present in the whole system and no one of the other computers to be able to become a master?

Thanks!

Fri, 19/Jun/2015 5:37 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi

Setting up Smedge with a dedicated master is pretty simple. To dedicate the current machine that is acting as master to always be the only master:

1. (If needed) Choose System > Administrator Mode
2. Choose System > Components > Set System Default Component Startup
3. Set the "Start the Master" option to "Do not start it"
4. Click OK

At this point, all instances of the GUI that are currently connected will shut down the Master component, and will not start it again automatically when you start Smedge unless you change this setting. Any new machines will start the Master until they get the update from the current master, at which point they, too, will shut it down and set the option not to start it again.

Normally, this is sufficient for most users. If you need further assurances, you can uncheck the "Allow Mirrors" check box in the Configure Master dialog box. This check box will help if anyone starts the SmedgeMaster component manually outside of the Smedge GUI.

If you want to be extra sure that the Master component process cannot possibly start on any machine other than the actual Master machine, you can remove or rename the SmedgeMaster executable on those other machines. On Windows and Linux, you can simply modify the executable where you installed it. On Mac, you need to navigate inside of the Smedge app bundle, where you will find the traditional Smedge file hierarchy and components.

You can use the Smedge GUI menu command System > Smedge Files > Browse the Application Folder to find the SmedgeMaster executable program files.

I also suggest you try updating Smedge. I just uploaded a hotfix version that includes a change in the low level networking library that should help reduce network issues related to disconnects (especially hard/unplanned disconnects from failures and network hiccups). This is the current Smedge 2015 Update 1 release, and the official version is Smedge 2015 Update 1 (f5), and is available from the download page.

If you continue to have issues with this happening even with the (f5) hotfix release, please contact me at , so I can set up a time to remote connect and see what else may be going on.

Thank you,
-robin

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved