ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Support > Engine app will not launch

Fri, 02/Jan/2015 4:49 PM
Doug
50 Posts
Suddenly the Engine on one of my Windows 7 work stations will not launch. The window appears for an instant and then quits. Usually if I restart the computer, this problem goes away, but in this case it is still happening even after multiple restarts. Any ideas what causes this? Thanks.

Tue, 06/Jan/2015 5:23 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi. Sorry for not seeing this sooner, I was out of town for the new year. Happy New Year everyone!

There is probably a stale lock file that was created by a different user account that is blocking the engine from starting. In the GUI, you can use the menu command (in Administrator Mode) System > Components > Remove Engine Lock File.

If it fails, it will tell you the error (probably a permission issue). You can try manually erasing the lock file from the machine folder. Use the menu command System > Smedge Files > Browse the Machine Folder. In the Explorer window tat opens, go inside the "SmedgeEngine" folder and remove the "SmedgeEngine.lock" file.

Wed, 07/Jan/2015 1:42 AM
Doug
50 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I learned this morning that Office 2007 was installed on the machine last week. We uninstalled the Office suite, and now Smedge Engine launches correctly.

Wed, 07/Jan/2015 3:39 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting, but with such an old version of Office, it's hard to know where the problem or conflict could lay. If you want me to take a look sometime, let me know.

Thanks,
-robin

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved