ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Support > Pool names reverting to identification numbers

Thu, 09/Feb/2012 2:53 PM
Emely
6 Posts
After assigning engines to newly created pools, the Assigned Pools will list identification numbers instead of pool names. It occurs over time and I do not know what triggers it. How can I avoid this from happening?

Tue, 14/Feb/2012 1:15 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
This can happen if the master switches unexpecedly to one that does not have an up-to-date list of the pool names. When an engine connects with a pool ID that is not known by the Master, the pool gets reverted to being named by the ID.

Do you find that your master switches often? Do you have a dedicated master or do you let it float between machines? Often, dedicating a master machine can reduce this happening significantly.

Thanks,
-robin

Wed, 15/Feb/2012 3:50 PM
Emely
6 Posts
We use a dedicated master.

Could this be related to where render nodes store engine pool data? A permissions issue perhaps?

Thu, 16/Feb/2012 5:10 AM
Martin
69 Posts
We noticed similar behavior in our environment when we used different ethernet cards for connecting the computer in to our network.

Some of the motherboards are equiped with two eth ports. When you switch them Smedge will change the previous computer to offline mode and new with the same name will appear.
If the computer was member of a pool the same thing is happening to pools. But instead of name there is a hex number ID.

So I would suspect some network name/ID issue

m.

Edited by author on Thu, 16/Feb/2012 5:11 AM

Thu, 16/Feb/2012 1:10 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
The master is the only node that keeps the names of the pools. The engines just store the IDs for the pools to which they belong. So, if the names are getting lost, it may be a sign of a permission issue on the master itself. Do the names get lost after a specific action, like restarting the master node?

Thanks
-robin

Fri, 17/Feb/2012 10:05 AM
Emely
6 Posts
I can't correlate any action that triggers the pool names to change. Our machine dedicated as the master is rarely restarted.

I suspect it is related to permissions related on the master. Under Windows 7, where are the Pool names and IDs stored?

Fri, 17/Feb/2012 10:10 AM
Emely
6 Posts
In response to Martin, each render node has two Ethernet connections. One dedicated for our LAN and the other for our network-attached storage.

Mon, 05/Oct/2015 6:50 AM
Konrad
1 Post
I like to reactivate this thread.

Master: Win 7
Clients: Win 7 & OSX
Smedge: 2014 u3

I experienced the same error (changing the Pool names to ID´s) after the crash of smedge-master, several times. Sometimes smedge master lost the licence, and after reactivating the licence, all the pools on the master are ID´s and the clients just ignore it.
I saw a coincident on the smedge crash and the Win 10 updater gwx.exe, that seems to be the cause of the crash (because they crashed always the same time). After deactivating and uninstalling the gwx.exe last week, I experienced a new crash of smedge master today.

Can I reconnect the ID´s to their pool alias or do I have to rebuild my pools?
Any clue for the crash (perhaps I´m not the only one)?

thanks
konrad

Wed, 21/Oct/2015 1:23 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
If you are still having trouble with this, please contact

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved