ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Feature Requests > Smedge for Ubuntu?

Sun, 06/Nov/2016 4:19 PM
Donald
2 Posts
What's the chances we could get Smedge also for Ubuntu/Debian? As opposed to what many think, a lot of us use other Linux flavors than CentOS. We for example, run our SideFX and Foundry products on Ubuntu without a hick!!
Keep up the great work!!
//Pete

Mon, 07/Nov/2016 6:34 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Technically, the CentOS build will run on Ubuntu, as long as the libraries are reasonably up-to-date. I have tested it on Debian 8 recently, but I admit I have not tried Ubuntu lately.

It would probably be easier to use the Archive over the RPM installer, given that Debian based distributions use the other package manager system generally. That said, you may even be able to use the RPM if you install the rpm tools.

I would love to do a proper Debian based installer package, and have had requests for it in the past. Unfortunately, it is a bit more difficult than I had hoped to get it working (or maybe I'm just dumber than I thought). Unfortunately, other tasks have had to take priority for now, and I don't know when I will get a chance to look into it further. If someone out there knows something about making Debian compatible packages, please let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks,
-robin

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved