ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Feature Requests > Have 3DS MAX add a path to output to view files/directories

Tue, 05/Aug/2014 12:04 PM
Jason
3 Posts
We use MAX and Maya and MAX doesn't have any render.exe output that will track the output directory and or file. Is there a way to make something like this so I could quickly get to the rendered folder? I explicity using the 3DSMAX module indicat the output file name there and render folder. However after it's completed that packet; smedge isn't aware of this location or file.

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. Is there a way to update my contact info. so that I get a notification via email from the forums?

Edited by author on Tue, 05/Aug/2014 12:29 PM

Tue, 05/Aug/2014 12:25 PM
Jason
3 Posts
In other words I always submit jobs to Smedge from MAX with File name and Folder which is then known to Smedge via the output to the command line e.g. This is the output from a current render job:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2015\3dsmaxcmd.exe" -cam:CamTopView_Close1_1831-3024_1280x480 -continueOnError -gammaCorrection:1 -o:P:\2011-2013\2012\12-231\Rendered\141530_Rendered\CamTopViews\12-231_140801_OrangeActualMPH_TopClose1..jpg -rfw:1 -w:1280 -h:480 -start:2986 -end:2988 -v:5 P:\2011-2013\2012\12-231\Scenes\render_scenes\12-231_scene_84_actualMPH.max

So the file name is known witout accessing the MAX job and directory but if I right click and try to "View Frame" or "Check File Sequence" or "Explore Images Folder", Smedge doesn't know what to look for.

However it does know the "Scene Folder" path which I don't get.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Thu, 07/Aug/2014 2:27 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
Smedge detects the scene path from the scene filename, but it can only detect the output filenames from the text output stream from the render process. It does not scan the extra parameters field for this, as the full formatting is often not known (e.g., padded with 0, 3, 4, or 5 digits?). Maya and several other renderers print the filename for the images created in the text output stream. Max and some others (Cinema 4D) do not. Without any output of the filenames actually written, Smedge cannot guess the files accurately. Even with the extra parameters, it may miss passes, layers, or buffers that are being written out to disk with specific setups.

There is one way to work around it. If you know the paths ahead of time, you can include it as part of the submit into Smedge. On the Advanced Info tab, you can prefill the image filename format field, or if you're submitting from a script, you can add -InitImageFormat flag to the Submit command line. The format should be "printf" style formatting like this:

X:\Path\to\my\file.%04d.ext

Thanks,
-robin

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved