ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Feature Requests > Arnold License Failure

Tue, 21/Jan/2014 11:53 AM
Pedrom
31 Posts
Hi

It's great that Arnold is now fully supported in Smedge!
Would it be possible to integrate the "Abort On License Fail" option in Arnold to Smedge?

e.g. if the option is selected in the Maya scene for the render to quit if no license is found, and then submitted to Smedge as a job - if an engine fails to get a license, instead of saying the frame is complete within a few seconds, could it just fail it?
This would save a lot of trouble our end in thinking the job is complete, when in fact only a few frames have been rendered...

Hope that makes sense?

Best,
Ped

Tue, 21/Jan/2014 6:53 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi

The -ai:alf flag should already be available in the Render Overrides tab, in the "Settings" section. You can always add any flags you want in the Render Overrides tab as well, on a job by job basis, or you can modify the default command line used to start the render to include the flag either job by job in the Advanced Info tab, or as an option for the engines in the Product Options dialog box.

If you do have any problem, please let me know and if possible let me take a look with a remote support session. You can contact me directly at .

Thanks,
-robin

Wed, 22/Jan/2014 10:37 AM
Pedrom
31 Posts
Admittedly, I didn't see this option before! ;)

However, when enabled as an override, Smedge still handles it in the same way and says the work was completed. Would it not be possible for the frame to fail for another Engine to pick up, rather than say complete when a license isn't found?

Thanks,
Ped

Wed, 22/Jan/2014 3:53 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hmm, that's odd, and sounds like it may be an Arnold bug. The flag is supposed to indicate that it should fail, but it seems that it is not reporting the failure in a way the Smedge is detecting. Normally, there should be some error message and a non-zero exit code for a failure to get a license.

Can you email an example of the captured output from one of these renders that should have failed? Perhaps they have a different error message I can add to the detection system. Still, I'm surprised it doesn't return a non-zero exit code for failing to obtain a license.

You can send it directly to me at

Thank you
-robin

Wed, 02/Apr/2014 4:22 PM
QuakeMarine1
177 Posts
you need to setup your smedge maya module to dected the lic. fail.
Maya exit the normal wayin case Arnold Lic. fail so smedge cant detect it by default
you need to include the Arnold lic. fail string to Maya modul

Thu, 03/Apr/2014 5:23 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Smedge 2014 Update 3 fixes the new license checkout message I have seen with mental ray. If you have any other license failures that are not detected, please post the text so I can add it to the error strings.

Thanks
-robin

Tue, 08/Apr/2014 5:52 AM
Pedrom
31 Posts
00:00:23 2875MB ERROR | abort_on_license_fail enabled
[mtoa] Failed batch render

This is all I can see at the end of the Output. What do I need to enter as the error string?

Tue, 08/Apr/2014 9:35 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
I am surprised the first line is not caught already. But if you add the second line to the error start strings, that should catch it. I'll check the default Maya.ini file to see if I can add that in.

Thanks,
-robin

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved