ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Feature Requests > console output of event commands

Wed, 13/Jun/2012 7:20 AM
Martin
69 Posts
It would be nice to see console output of commands we put in to Job's Event Commands.
Now it is complicated to diagnose possible problems as I did not find the way to see it.

thx

m.

Wed, 13/Jun/2012 9:55 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi

That has been asked for previously. It's a little tricky with the current design, but I'll try to find a way to make it work in the future. As a workaround, you can pipe the output from your event commands to a file, and use the variable substitution system to ensure that each job gets its own file to use. For example, your command may be something like this:

C:\path\to\startup_script.bat > $(Scene.Path)/StartupLogs/$(Name).log

This will pipe the output of your startup_script.bat command to a file in the scenes folder with the work name (usually the frame number) and a ".log" extension.

Let me know if this helps. Thanks
-robin

Thu, 14/Jun/2012 10:55 AM
Martin
69 Posts
we have modified our own delete.exe to output logs automatically without need to capture console output.

it we put this command to Post Execute event, the log file is not created. This means it is not executed at all.

If we run the same command as General Script, it works as expected.

Fri, 15/Jun/2012 10:35 AM
Martin
69 Posts
Basically we came to conclusion event actions are not suitable for deleting temp files at all.

We had big troubles identifying problems of failed renders and we found finally it is a problem of using event actions for deleting temp files.

No matter if we use Async or Sync version of action Smedge writes some files to temp folder as well and they are deleted and this makes a lot of troubles.

Can you advice us the best way to setup deleting action so after each render we can delete Maya temp junk?

thank you

Sat, 16/Jun/2012 9:55 AM
QuakeMarine1
177 Posts
just perform the delete before render starts
setup engines to run bat insteat render.exe

render.bat is

del c:\...
..\render.exe %*

%* is importent - its replaced with the input smedge provides (-r file -rd ...)

Sat, 16/Jun/2012 2:43 PM
Martin
69 Posts
Yes you are right it can be done this way. I'm using it for setting up environment variables before Maya starts rendering. (to be honest not very good way either)
But it is somewhat strange to create bat files for every render we use on our render farm.
And I find it more logical to delete junk Maya files after rendering not before. It makes event actions somewhat useless . . .

Sun, 17/Jun/2012 3:26 AM
Martin
69 Posts
There is one more reason not to use DOS command for deleting temp files. Maya creates directory for each render and I was not able to delete them using del command. It is a question of second to make it happen on linux but on windows? You should know exact names of all directories before you can delete them! Maybe you can create txt file with list of the dirs and then pipe it somehow to del command but it is a nightmare. It was much easier for us to write it in python . . .

Sun, 17/Jun/2012 7:13 AM
QuakeMarine1
177 Posts
you not need to creat a bat file for every render
what folder you like to delete ?
rd /q /s C:\Users\rebus\AppData\Local\Temp\mayadiskcache ?

is simple

render.bat
rd /q /s C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp
render.exe %*

that batch remove all files and fodlers in temp (you cant use wildcard "...\mayadisk*" sadly) and skip write protected files or files in use
setup engines to run that batch insteat "render.exe"

Sun, 17/Jun/2012 1:17 PM
Martin
69 Posts
Thanks for the tip with rd. It really does what we need. One is always learning new things :)

It is still necessary to create bat files for every render type (Maya 2009 -> Maya 2013, all with different renderers as each has different path to executable and different set of switches)

But thank you for your help!

Sun, 17/Jun/2012 6:22 PM
QuakeMarine1
177 Posts
just edit the maya.ini file and creat separate moduls for 2009 2012 .. MR vray software
i have about 9 different modules - one for each maya i need

each modul run a different batch

Mon, 18/Jun/2012 1:20 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi Martin

Can you tell me which version of Smedge you are using? There should be no problem running event commands for cleaning up files, however, there was a bug in an older version of Smedge that had the post-work events wrong (the wrong event was being called in some situations). If that is the problem, we can work around it or you may want to try updating your Smedge to get the fixed version.

Thanks,
-robin

Thu, 21/Jun/2012 4:20 AM
Martin
69 Posts
It was 2012. I'm just going to install update I and will do some tests and report the result

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved