ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Announcements > Smedge 2010 Update 2

Wed, 12/May/2010 5:24 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
The next update is almost ready. This update will improve system stability and remove some of the issues about the master switching and losing its license that some people have experienced. It also uses much less of your system CPU and memory, and we have found a memory leak that could cause Smedge memory consumption to get bigger over time.

There are also a few new features. Most useful is that Smedge log files can now be viewed using Smedge's file server system. This means that you no longer have to save captured output log files with the scene file in order to view them from any node. Instead, Engines will now save these files on the local disk by default, and serve them up to any SmedgeGui client that requests them. This will improve your rendering performance by reducing the load on your file server. It will also mean that the output logs will be included in the normal log cleanup process, removing old logs from the local disk over time.

A full list of new features and changes will be included with the final release. The release date will hopefully be May 17, 2010, if no unforeseen problems arise.

This does impact the scheduled release dates for Smedge 2011 pre-releases. However, most of the changes were included in the Smedge 2011 schedule anyway. This release will be taking the place of the "beta 1" release in our old schedule. Right now, we are still trying to aim for a Smedge 2011 release at the end of October, but it may not include every originally planned feature. It will likely include other features and changes as yet unknown as you, our valued customers, request them.

As ever, please let us know if you have any questions, run into any problems, or have any requests. Thank you!

-robin

Tue, 25/May/2010 6:21 AM
Jamie
102 Posts
Any movement likely on the release of update 2? I know you're very likely to be busy on-site so no worries, just looking for an update.
Cheers

J

Thu, 27/May/2010 1:23 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
I should update everyone because it is taking longer than expected.

The Windows port is pretty much ready. There are a few little things (like the recently found "Stop Work" restriction crash reported in the Support thread I have to check out) but all it all it's working great. The Mac and Linux ports, however, have turned into a quagmire of memory access violations related to the improved memory system that works flawlessly on Windows. (What a surprise, Microsoft does something else different than everyone else, though at least this time it seems to be an improvement over the others...)

I have pretty much worked out the Mac problems, and I'm testing them now, so only Linux left causing me endless nightmare headaches by not acting as the c++ specification says that it should. However, at least I have a better idea how to work around it thanks to the last 3 weeks of headbanging against the Mac port, so hopefully this will be the final hurrah, and the update should be ready shortly.

If anyone wants to try the pre-release on Windows, you can find it here:

http://www.uberware.net/download/Smedge2010.2.12.zip

Once the Mac and Linux ports are finalized, I'll post the official update for all platforms.

Thanks for your patience.
-robin

Thu, 03/Jun/2010 3:30 PM
Jamie
102 Posts
Hi Robin,

I appreciate the update immensely. The new control systems, which I've been able to steal time to develop in between projects landing on the farm, are coming together really nicely. I've asked for time (and the go ahead) to push the new update of smedge out here. So all being well let's see how it goes.

Windows does get some things right, a lot wrong, but thankfully enough right to allow a sneak peak. ;)

Thanks for this, I know you'll be busy through all this as well.

Cheers

Jamie

Fri, 11/Jun/2010 12:49 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
For those interested, here is the new build for all platforms:

Win: http://www.uberware.net/download/Smedge2010.2.14_W.zip

Mac: http://www.uberware.net/download/Smedge2010.2.14_M.zip

Linux: http://www.uberware.net/download/Smedge2010.2.14_L.tar.gz

This is a release candidate at this point. All that is left is updating the documentation.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thu, 01/Jul/2010 7:48 AM
Jamie
102 Posts
Great update/build. Live throughout the studio here and it's looking like it's working a treat.

Cheers!

Jamie

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved