ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Announcements > Smedge 2010 Update 1 is now available.

Mon, 01/Feb/2010 5:15 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi everyone.

Update 1 to Smedge 2010 is now ready for download. This version fixes a few little bugs that have been found in the Smedge 2010 release, and adds several cool new features.

Smedge now includes support for Fryrender. Fry works similar to the Maxwell Light Simulator, and includes the ability to intelligently merge the large DSI files that allow you to increase image quality by using many machines to render the same image.

Improvements have also been made in the Maya, mental ray standalone and Nuke modules that all make your life much easier. Maya now finds the fcheck frame viewer for you automatically, making it easy to see your images, and Nuke now supports translating paths inside of the Nuke script file itself using the Smedge path translation system, making mixed platform rendering easier than ever.

You can see a complete list of the changes in the updated Changes document here:

http://www.uberware.net/smedge/Changes_2010.pdf

You can download the new version from the Downloads page:

http://www.uberware.net/download.php

As long as your support contract is valid past February 1, 2010, you will be able to run the updated build at no additional charge. You can also update nodes at any time, and can run both Smedge 2010 and Smedge 2010 Update 1 at the same time on the same network, so you don't have to shut down your entire network to update your nodes.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you!
-robin

Tue, 02/Feb/2010 2:51 AM
Sujitkumar
2 Posts
Hi, Its a gr8 news.

Just a small questions about Nuke path translation. Dose it mean we dont need to convert windows nuke script to linux readable path format to use it on linux render node? What about the maya file?

Tue, 02/Feb/2010 2:32 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
The normal Smedge path translation will convert the path to the Nuke script in order to start a Nuke render on Linux regardless of where the file was created or submitted from. The new system will also read through the script file and use the same translations to convert any paths it finds inside the script to Linux format paths. This means you can use an absolute path inside of Nuke on your Windows workstation, and (as long as there is a translation for the root of that path) the file node paths will be converted to the correct path to render correctly on Linux.

You can also use relative paths, which won't be translated, or you can still use the environment variable trick, where you prefix your paths with the environment variable access command (e.g., "[getenv PROJECTS]/path/to/file.tif").

Maya can already handle cross platform rendering, on its own. It works best if you use the Maya project system, and keep your source images inside of the project hierarchy. If you follow these simple steps, you rarely have any problems with Maya rendering across platforms. There are some other steps you can take, like using a simple MEL script to do path translation at the beginning of a render. You can access this either by adding the MEL commands to the Smedge job, or by embedding them into the Mays scene render globals.

Let me know if you have any questions.
-robin

Thu, 04/Feb/2010 6:52 AM
Martin
69 Posts
I have some troubles installing 2010.1 over 2010

Installation seems fine, but nothing actually happens. There is only 2010 version installed, all services removed.

When trying to run 2010.1.msi again, it sayz I can repair or remove it. The only way to make it correctly is to use repair option. Than it actually installs the 2010.1

Tried on 10 machines with same scenario. First install fails (with no visual error), only repair works.

Thu, 04/Feb/2010 2:56 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hmm there seems to be sone issue with the intaller generated.

As you noticed, you can use the "repair" feature to fix it. You can also uninstall 2010 manually before running the update. Finally, you can download the zip file instead and just overwrite the program files by extracting the nee version directly over the old.

I am trying to figure out what has caused this, and I will update the installer when o get it working correctly.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
-robin

Fri, 05/Feb/2010 4:27 AM
Martin
69 Posts
The only problem was that I've got Maya.ini file in modules overwritten with this repair option and it took me quite long to figure this out :)
But finally I've managed to upgrade the farm and everything seems to work now, including my custom modules.

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved