ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Feature Requests > Smedge engine able to execute commandline when closing smedge engine client?

Thu, 14/Jan/2010 12:28 PM
Jamie
102 Posts
Another brain wave I'm afraid. Is there any means to (currently or in future) have smedge engines execute a simple commandline when they 'gracefully' close down?

We're able to have our cpu Table and status changes on their work progress as you'd expect but it'd be interesting to see if the workstations could send a signal to say they're not on the farm 'outside' of the smedge gui.
Cheers

Jamie

Thu, 14/Jan/2010 1:19 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
One way to accomplish this is to wrap the SmedgeEngine executable in a batch file. Then you could do whatever you wanted before the Engine process starts and after it finishes, using the batch file.

The event system in Smedge will be expanding in Smedge 2011, and may allow ways to set this up inside of Smedge itself. We'll see how that shapes up as we start implementing it.

Thanks
-r

Fri, 15/Jan/2010 6:25 AM
Jamie
102 Posts
Hi Robin,

Yup, that's the short term approach I'll be testing today. Possible some process misbehaving may crash it, but let me see if that'll work for the time being.

Cheers

Jamie

Fri, 15/Jan/2010 2:29 PM
Jason
1 Post
I would suggest in your batch file that you check the result of the SmedgeEngine process. If the process terminates normally, the error level should be 0. That way, your batch file can detect if the Engine shutdown properly or in a not so good way.

-r

Mon, 18/Jan/2010 10:35 AM
Jamie
102 Posts
Hi Robin,

I've made some great in-roads in python process launching and such but the event where someone 'shuts down' smedge and it's associated launch wrapper the parent process and the smedge engine process both die with immediate effect. The last thing being effectively actioned is the 'shutdown' signal from smedgeengine.exe being sent to the master.

Looks like I'll have to create a pulse system of some sort.

Update: I've thrown every python subprocess variable and dos event at it with no joy. I'm going to have to create a polling app which will query the engine list from our master to keep the node status in the MySQL tables accurate.

Cheers

Jamie

Edited by author on Mon, 18/Jan/2010 11:39 AM

Tue, 26/Jan/2010 10:08 AM
Jamie
102 Posts
Hi Robin,

I've elected to execute and parse the output from the 'Engine.exe List' command. Thing is the master, specially when it's busy will stop responding to this query if I run it over a long period of time.

I suspect, as mentioned in the other thread, it's the master messaging system failing internally. I'm moving onto 2010 to see how that shapes up but I'm not able to throw over all our cpus onto it till the next release. If I hit any problems I'll mail you directly.

Cheers

Jamie

Tue, 26/Jan/2010 12:09 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Hi Jamie,

Smedge 2010 should significantly reduce messenger system problems compared to earlier Smedge 3 versions. If you have trouble with it, please let me know. There will be an update coming out early next month with some more bug fixes as well. Contact me directly if you have any questions about it.

Thanks
-robin

Tue, 21/Dec/2010 10:37 AM
sujit
3 Posts
Hi Can u help me to make python script for nuke to submit the job from nuke to smedge?

Atleast i need a class to define smedge

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved