ÜberwareTM

View Forum Thread

Anyone can view the forums, but you need to log in in order to post messages.

> Forum Home > Announcements > Smedge 2.5 beta 3 available now!

Thu, 10/Sep/2009 4:58 AM
Robin
1138 Posts
The next beta release of Smedge 2.5 is now ready for download on Window, Linux and OS-X. Besides lots of bug fixes on all platforms, this version includes some new features, including the ability to install and remove services and daemons on every platform. See the Installation Guide for more information.

You can download the installers here:
Windows:
http://www.uberware.net/download/Smedge3-2.5.0b3.msi
or you can download the program as a zip:
http://www.uberware.net/download/Smedge3-2.5.0b3-win32.zip
Requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (x86) Redistributables

OS-X:
http://www.uberware.net/download/Smedge3-2.5.0b3.dmg

Linux:
http://www.uberware.net/download/Smedge3-2.5.0b3.tar.gz

Note that there are still some outstanding issues. Most importantly, the documentation has not been completely updated to the new version. If you have any questions about how the beta release of Smedge works, please contact support.

Features and bug fixes:

+ VRay for Maya support
+ Maxwell module finds the executable automatically
+ Maya based products can now set mental ray output verbosity to "fatal errors only" and "no output"
+ Automatic service/daeon installation tools on all platforms
+ Ability to reset all of the confirmation dialogs
+ captured output log filenames get all spaces removed (user request)

- Smedge email client sends a properly formed domain on connect for the pickier mail servers
- Smedge email client sent emails in GMT instead of local time resulting in messages from the future
- Average time measurement is wrong
- Available memory display was not working correctly on all platforms.
- Info pane doesn't always open to the right size
- Linux: Herald icon may not display correctly
- OS-X & Linux: Maya module can hang SmedgeGui doing auto-detection for Maya project
- OS-X: GUI List updates would drop the selection, resulting in flicker and inability to work under load
- OS-X: Maya 2010 requires MAYA_LOCATION environment variable
- OS-X: Command line Shell apps look for Modules in the wrong folder
- OS-X: Mac special apostrophe is changed in not yet Unicode Smedge to not look so ugly
- Maxwell interrupt can fail during the work cleanup process
- Mirrors can bring back Engines and Pools that had been removed
- Possible hangs and crashes in Master and low level libraries.

Edited by author on Thu, 10/Sep/2009 5:02 AM

Thu, 10/Sep/2009 11:56 AM
QuakeMarine1
177 Posts
hi

what that means in detail ?
+ Ability to reset all of the confirmation dialogs

can smedge press "OK" if a popup appear during render ?
I know Ciname and 3ds have such an annouing issue in rar cases

Thu, 10/Sep/2009 12:35 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
Before some operations, like deleting a Job for example, SmedgeGui asks you if this is OK to do. Those dialog boxes have a check box that disables the warning message so that you can delete jobs without having to click OK each time. The new system menu command will reset all of those warning messages to be displayed again.

It does not affect the rendering process in any way.
-robin

Fri, 11/Sep/2009 8:02 AM
Kasper
5 Posts
How do i install this update on MAC? i did a systemwide shutdown and when i try to install i just get the Smedge and uninstalle smedge window up when i press smedge nothing happens.....?

Fri, 11/Sep/2009 11:58 AM
Kasper
5 Posts
I cant find any way to update the master to 2.5b3 in windows or on MAC

Sun, 13/Sep/2009 3:04 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
You cannot run Smedge from the DMG window. You need to drag the Smedge icon to your computer so that it can run. You can drag it to the desktop, to the /Applications folder, or to any folder you want, but you cannot run it directly from the DMG window itself.

You can double click the Installation Guide icon, which steps through these steps. You can also double click the Uninstall Smedge icon, which will remove old versions of Smedge and stop the daemons, if they are running.

Once you have dragged the Smedge application icon to a folder on your local disk, you should be able to double click it to start smedge. If you want to install the daemons, you can then do so using the commands in the System menu.

Please read the Installation Guide for more information. Let me know if that helps.

-robin

Sun, 13/Sep/2009 3:26 PM
Kasper
5 Posts
When i install v2.4.2 i get to choose between Master, engine and workstation, when i install v2.5b3 i dont get any choices, it just installs like a an engine and starts looking for the master.
AM i supposed to configure this install as a MASTER inside GUI after installation?

Sun, 13/Sep/2009 11:28 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
You do not need to pick a machine role in with version 2.5 ahead of time.

When you installed the old Smedge, you needed to pick out if a machine was going to be the Master, Engine, or a Workstation when you ran the installer. The new Smedge includes every component automatically when you double click the icon.

You no longer need to worry about having one and only one Master on your network. The Master can now run redundantly on as many machines as you like. By default, the first machine to be started will act as the Master as long as it is running, but if you shut it down, and another machine is running, that machine will take over as Master automatically. Because every machine is now Master, Engine and Workstation combined into one, you do not need to specify ahead of time which machine will perform which role, unless you really want to.

If it does not connect to itself on the first machine within a minute or two, then there is probably something interfering with Smedge communication. Make sure that any firewalls on your system have been disabled or that you have added all of the Smedge component executables as exceptions. Also make sure you don't have a dedicated Master set in the Connection.ini or anything like that. Unless you need to customize for a specific reason, it's best to let Smedge handle the connections automatically.

To use Smedge the old way, start the SmedgeGui, and then choose to install the services that you want on a machine. If you want the machine to be a Master, install the Master service. If you want it to be an Engine, install the Engine service. If you don't want the Engine or Master to start automatically with the GUI, you can configure this in the SmedgeGui options.

If you want a specific machine to be the Master and only that machine, start that machine first and turn off the "Allow Mirrors" checkbox in the Configure Master dialog box. Make sure no other machines have the Master service installed to start automatically.

I hope this clarifies it for you. Please let me know if you still have problems getting Smedge to run. If it won't even connect to itself on a single machine automatically, please send the MachineLogs from the machine in question. You can browse the MachineLogs folder from the SmedgeGui menu command: System > Smedge Files > Explore the Log Folder.

Thanks
-robin

Edited by author on Sun, 13/Sep/2009 11:38 PM

Tue, 15/Sep/2009 3:40 PM
Jeff
2 Posts
When I download the Zip archive I get a corrupt file warning...tried it 3 times still the same thing

Tue, 15/Sep/2009 11:09 PM
Robin
1138 Posts
OK, fixed the zip. You may need to clear the cache on your browser if you still get the corrupted file when you download it. Sorry about that!

-robin

Page 1 of 1

©2000 - 2013 Überware. All rights reserved